15 Interesting Facts About Car Parking In UK And Around The World
- The first multi-story car park in the UK was built in 1901 on Denman Street in London. It had space for over 100 cars and was known as the Motor House.
- The largest car park in the UK is located at Manchester Airport, with space for over 22,000 cars.
- The world’s largest car park is the West Edmonton Mall in Alberta, Canada, which has space for over 20,000 cars.
- In the early 20th century, cars were often parked on the street and sometimes had to be pushed by hand to make space for other vehicles. The first parking meter was invented in 1935 to help regulate and control city parking.
- London has some of the highest parking prices in the UK. In some areas, parking on the street can cost up to £8 per hour.
- In the United States, it’s estimated that there are roughly 2 billion parking spaces, which is more than the total number of cars on the road.
- The first electric vehicle charging stations in the UK were installed in car parks. Today, many car parks offer electric vehicle charging as an additional service.
- Some UK cities have implemented “park and ride” schemes, where drivers park their cars on the outskirts of the city and take public transport into the city centre. This can help reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality.
- Parking garages have been around for over a century, but the first multi-level parking garage was built in Chicago in 1918. It was called the Marina City parking garage and had space for over 900 cars.
- Autonomous parking systems are becoming increasingly popular, with some cars now able to park themselves using sensors and cameras.
- Parking can be a lucrative business, with some of the most expensive parking spots in the world located in cities like New York, London, and Hong Kong. In some cases, parking spots have sold for millions of dollars.
- In the United States, the first “drive-in” movie theatre was opened in 1933 in Camden, New Jersey. The idea was to provide a unique movie-going experience that allowed people to park their cars and watch the movie from the comfort of their own vehicles.
- Some cities have experimented with “smart parking” systems that use technology to help drivers find available parking spots more easily. This can reduce traffic congestion and make it easier for people to get around.
- The world’s smallest car park in the UK has space for just one car. It’s called the Prince’s Building car park and is located in Bristol.
- Some countries, such as the Netherlands, are experimenting with “floating” car parks that can be moved to different locations depending on demand. These floating car parks are designed to be environmentally friendly and help reduce the impact of parking on natural habitats.
Contact us for more information.